Monday, March 5, 2012

March 5th

I always expect that at some point, something will catch fire and the publishing process will stop being bogged down and start moving fast. However, my editor had to get out from under other commitments before she started in on my book.  So I have been waiting to send in the latest version of my book, and now that I finally have got it to her, I am waiting to see what she says. Also, one month after the agreement to sign  with this publisher, I have seen neither hide nor hair of any contract, which makes me nervous. I was told it would take a while. Everything in publishing takes a while. As a writer I actually take less time writing than marketing and sales. In the meantime, I have been working on screenplays and getting together a reading of one of my other books. I am never idle.
But I was reading this morning on line about how difficult it is to have got this far on the publishing path, how many books are rejected, even once they get to agents, which is a feat in itself. I can't complain. I am at the mercy of the publishing house at this point, with their demands for world rights and all. I suppose being published posthumously isn't the end of the world. I jest. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in a nice meaty literary read, I am reading "Lime Creek," by Joe Henry. Lovely stuff. Real food, when you tire of confection.

No comments:

Post a Comment